MOUNTAINAIR, N.M. (KRQE) – Crews are responding to a large wildland fire near New Mexico 337 and Raquel Road near Chilili. The fire started on July 8. Cibola National Forest officials say the Ojo de Los Casos fire is burning on the north end of the Manzano Mountains near the 2016 Dog Head fire scar. Heavy smoke is visible in Albuquerque, the East Mountains, and Estancia.
- Start Date: July 8, 2020
- Location: 7 miles southwest of Chilili and 9 miles northwest of Tajique NM 337 and Raquel Rd. near Chilili, north end of the Manzano Mountains
- Evacuations: None at this time, however, residents are urged to pay close attention and have a plan in case evacuations become necessary
- Containment: 0%
- Size: about 90 acres
- Structures Threatened: None at this time
- Structures Burned: None at this time
- Cause: Unknown
- Total Personnel: 2 hotshot crews, several engines
- Area Vegetation: Unknown
- Ownerships: U.S. Forest Service, Cibola National Forest Mountainair Ranger District
Fire officials report several air tanker retardant drops were made in addition to helicopter water drops before it started to get dark Wednesday. Fire officials say Torrance, Santa Fe County Fire Departments, and the Bernalillo County Fire Department have been requested for additional help.
All residents in the area are encouraged to pay close attention to this fire in case evacuations become necessary. The Bernalillo County Fire Dept. reported that no evacuations in Bernalillo County have been ordered at this time. Fire officials advise avoiding the area.
Fire officials report fire activity has slowed which allowed firefighters on the ground to begin line construction. On Thursday, smoke from the fire will likely be visible as the day heats up.
The Albuquerque Zone Type 3 Incident Management Team will be managing the fire and will arrive Thursday. Air resources will be used in order to contain the fire.
The cause of the fire is unknown at this time and an investigation is underway. This is a developing story and KRQE News 13 will provide updates as soon as they become available.
East Mountain Crews are responding to a Large Wildland Fire around NM 337 & Raquel rd. near Chilili. Sandavol, Torrance and Santa Fe County FD have been requested for additional aid.
BCSO was also requested for additional assistance.
Be safe as crews are working in the area. pic.twitter.com/PQGpa7CAnW
— BernalilloCountyFire (@BerncoFire) July 9, 2020